Sports

Father and son killed in new Isle of Man TT tragedy

British father and his sidecar riders Roger and Bradley Stockton were killed in the latest tragedy to rock this year’s Isle of Man TT. Pic: Twitter

Tea death toll at this year’s Isle of Man TT motorcycle races has risen to five, sparking fresh calls for the controversial event to be scrapped.

British father and son sidecar riders Roger and Bradley Stockton are the latest to have died as a result of crashes in the deadly motorsport event.

‘VERY BAD’: Formula One star caught in the act with another woman

REVEALED: Daniel Ricciardo spills secret message on driver helmet

The pair, 56 and 21 respectively, were competing as driver and passenger in the second sidecar race when the incident happened on the final lap at Ago’s Leap.

They had finished eighth in the first sidecar race of the event on closed public roads around the island.

A statement from the Isle of Man TT read: “It is with deep sense of sorrow that the Isle of Man TT Races can announce the loss of Roger and Bradley Stockton following an incident on the final lap of the second Sidecar Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races.

“Roger and Bradley were father and son, and driver and passenger respectively. We extend our deepest sympathy to their families, loved ones and friends.

“The loss of two members of our paddock and two people from the same family is truly heart-breaking, but the bond between a father and son who achieved their dream to compete together at the TT provides us with a glimmer of light at such a dark time.”

In a devastating twist, Roger Stockton said earlier in the year: “I’ve retired a few times before, but always come back for my love of the sport. Going around the course with my own flesh and blood will be incredible.”

The races around the island off the north-west coast of England are being held again after a two-year absence due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the longest break for the event since World War II.

Davy Morgan became the third person to die at this year's Isle of Man TT.  Image: AAP/Twitter

Davy Morgan became the third person to die at this year’s Isle of Man TT. Image: AAP/Twitter

Regarded as the ‘world’s deadliest event’, riders can reach speeds of up to 322 km/h along 60km and 264 corners of open roads.

The event has been run since 1907 and ranks among the most deadly in motorsport, with 265 deaths to date in the TT races, Manx Grand Prix and Classic TT.

The only year the event was held without a fatality was way back in 1982.

Calls grow louder for Isle of Man TT to be scrapped

Following the spate of deaths at this year’s event, outrage is growing on social media as users question why the races have been allowed to go ahead in spite of the obvious dangers.

Among the anger and sadness, tributes have been pouring in for the father-son duo across the motorsport world.

Northern Irish rider Davy Morgan lost his life after crashing out at the controversial race on Monday.

Morgan’s death was the third in just five days, prompting fresh calls for the event to be cancelled.

Welsh rider Mark Purslow died in practice last Friday, while French sidecar driver Cesar Chanal died in a crash at Ago’s Leap one week ago.

Organizers initially said passenger Olivier Lavorel had died but announced on Wednesday they had mis-identified the victim.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button