Meghan Markle’s estranged dad, Thomas, has written a personal message to the queen following a massive stroke that has left him unable to speak.
Meghan Markle’s dad has been discharged from hospital five days after suffering a massive stroke as the Duchess of Sussex reportedly tries to reach out to him to end their four-year feud.
Retired Hollywood lighting director Thomas Markle, 77, fell ill in Mexico last Monday night and was rushed by emergency ambulance to hospital, The Sun reported.
He was said to have lost his speech following the incident – which came after he already suffered a health scare last week, sources told The Sun. After being discharged today, he told the Mail on Sunday: “I feel hugely grateful and know how lucky I am to be alive.
“I want to thank everyone, especially the wonderful doctors and nurses who saved my life. They are angels.
“I have been deeply moved by loving messages I’ve received from all over the world. People have been so kind.
“I can’t speak right now, but I am working hard and will thank people properly when I can.”
Mr Markle had been planning to fly to Britain this week to celebrate next weekend’s Platinum Jubilee – but the stroke scuppered the trip.
His condition was so serious he could only communicate by scrawling down messages on a piece of paper, sources said.
Writing on a whiteboard with a felt-tip pen, he wrote: “I wanted to come to pay my respects to the Queen. I wish her a happy Jubilee and many more years.”
The severe stroke was caused by a blood clot on the right side of Mr Markle’s brain.
Meghan, 40, is reportedly understood to have now reached out to her dad’s camp after he was discharged from hospital.
An insider told the Sunday Mirror: “Despite their estrangement, Meghan is concerned.
“She wants to know if there is any way to contact her father privately, without other family knowing about it or having to get involved.”
Meghan is said to be worried that contacting her dad will mean having to speak to her half-siblings Thomas Jr, 55, and Samantha.
The source said: “Meghan can’t contact her half-siblings because she believes they have their own agendas.
“If she can contact their dad, she wants it to be totally private. It won’t involve Netflix, it won’t involve any photographs and it must not involve any tip-offs to the paparazzi.”
The health scare comes after Thomas warned in a bitter High Court privacy case he was so unwell he could “die tomorrow”.
In a letter in the case launched by Meghan over a “personal and private” letter, he revealed he was “clinically obese”, had “heart and lung issues” and was on blood-thinners that affect his breathing.
Meghan’s dad famously missed her Royal wedding four years ago after claiming he had suffered a heart attack.
Meghan’s relationship with her dad crumbled after he posed for paparazzi pictures ahead of the 2018 wedding.
Harry and Meghan have confirmed they will attend the Queen’s party with Archie, three, and Lilibet, who has her first birthday during the Platinum Jubilee weekend.
They are thought to be staying at Frogmore Cottage at Windsor Castle.
Mr Markle has never put Harry nor his grandchildren.
It comes as the Queen, who has been suffering mobility problems, vowed to make two appearances on the Buckingham Palace balcony on Thursday – the first day of her Jubilee celebrations.
A source told the Mail on Sunday: “The Queen is determined to take part in the Jubilee celebrations.
“Trooping was brought forward by one week to be part of the Jubilee this year and the Queen very much wants to be part of it.”
The Queen has inspected the troops herself every year of her reign – but this year she plans to appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony to take the salute as the guards return to barracks.
Prince Charles will stand in for the Queen, inspecting the troops on horseback.
This article originally appeared in The Sun and was reproduced here with permission.